JMIE Australia Pty Ltd (‘JMIE’) is committed to protecting the privacy of individuals.
2. When do we collect personal information?
JMIE collects personal information in a number of ways. The most common ways are described below.
- We may collect your personal information directly from you, when you provide it to us or to our agents or contractors including when you:
- request a brochure, join a mailing list or request information including from the JMIE website or at a motor show, JMIE Drive Day or other promotional day such as MDay;
- enter a competition or respond to a survey;
- apply for a job at JMIE; or
- conduct business with us.
- We may collect your personal information via a JMIE dealer when you:
- take a test drive at a JMIE dealer;
- purchase a new or used JMIE vehicle or JMIE parts from a JMIE dealer;
- arrange finance for the purchase of a JMIE vehicle; or
- have a vehicle serviced or repaired at a JMIE dealer
We may also collect personal information about you from publicly available sources, from our related companies or from third parties (for example, from referees if you apply for a job with us).
3. What personal information do we collect?The types of personal information we collect from you will depend on the circumstances in which the information is collected. JMIE may collect contact details including your name, address, email address and phone and fax numbers. Where relevant, we may also collect your driver’s licence details, date of birth, gender, information about your vehicle (including its number plate and vehicle identification number), answers you provide to questions we ask and other information in relation to your dealings with JMIE or JMIE dealers (such as types of vehicle purchased and replaced). In some cases JMIE may also collect demographic information such as your age, occupation and approximate income. This information is sought to assist us to better understand and service our customers. This information is de-identified when input into our analysis projects or research tools and then only used as aggregated demographic data. JMIE does not require customers to provide any sensitive information. If you do provide sensitive information to us for any reason (for example, if you provide us with information about a disability you have or other health related information), you consent to us collecting that information and to us using and disclosing that information for the purpose for which you disclosed it to us and as permitted by the Act. In the case of business related purchases, sensitive information in relation to an individual’s membership of a trade or similar association may be provided to us but we do not actively seek this information and will not keep a record of it unless we need to for our business purposes.
4. SecurityJMIE will take reasonable steps to keep any personal information we hold about you secure. However, except to the extent liability cannot be excluded due to the operation of statute, we exclude all liability (including in negligence) for the consequences of any unauthorised access to, disclosure of, misuse of or loss or corruption of your personal information. Please notify us immediately if you become aware of any breach of security.
“Cookies” are small pieces of information sent by a web server to a web browser, which enable the server to collect information from the browser.
JMIE uses technology such as “cookies” on its website and in emails you have agreed to receive from us. The use of “cookies” is an industry standard, and helps us monitor the effectiveness of our advertising and how visitors use our website so that we can customise and improve our website and services.
The types of information stored by these “cookies” may include your Internet Protocol (IP) address, details of your computer system, browser information, geolocation information, and details of pages visited (and for how long) and website functionality accessed.
Most browsers allow you to turn off the cookie function. If you want to know how to do this please look at the help menu on your web browser. However, certain aspects of our website or particular functionality may not be available or may not perform optimally if you turn off cookies.
Third party vendors, including Google, show our ads on sites on the Internet and serve these ads based on a user’s prior visits to our website. We also use analytics data supplied by these vendors to inform and optimise our ad campaigns based on your prior visits to our website.
6. Queries, comments and complaints
JMIE will take any privacy complaint seriously and any complaint will be assessed by an appropriate person with the aim of resolving any issue in a timely and efficient manner. We request that you cooperate with us during this process and provide us with any relevant information that we may need.
7. Contact details
Please address all privacy related queries, requests and complaints to JMIE’s Privacy Officer at Privacy@jmie.com.au.